Pennsylvania GOP primary that could shape control of the Senate
The Greater Boston Food Bank (GBFB), the largest hunger-relief organization in New England, is responding to historic levels of food insecurity in 2020, while adding several new members to its boards of directors and advisers in 2020, including Arlington resident Carl Paratore.
“The emergence of food insecurity over the last six plus months has reinforced the critical work that GBFB does in combating hunger in the communities we live,” said Paratore in a Nov. 3 news release. “The increased demand for food creates new challenges for GBFB, and I’m committed to helping.”
Paratore is the chief audit executive for Tufts Health Plan. He grew up in Arlington and received his bachelor’s degree and master’s in business administration at Babson College.
He joined the nonprofit's board during a historic year because of the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on food insecurity. Feeding America projected back in May that food insecurity would increase by 59 percent in Eastern Massachusetts in 2020, so that one in eight people are expected to not have access to enough food for three healthy meals a day.
These food-insecurity projections are significant, but GBFB and its network has supported the surge in demand with resiliency. Since the onset of Covid-19, the GBFB network of food pantries have reported, on average, a 91-percent increase in clients served.
In September, GBFB welcomed five new members to its directors and nine new members to its advisers.
2020 additions to the directors:
- Heidy King-Jones, Chief Legal Officer at Proventio Bio
- Edward Mackey, Executive Vice President, Global Operations at Boston Scientific
- Carl Paratore, Chief Audit Executive at Tufts Health Plan
- Cedric Terrell, Chief Pharmacy Officer & Vice President Health and Medical Management at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- William Truscott, CEO at Columbia Threadneedle
2020 additions to thr advisers
- William Adams, Chief Investment Officer: Global Fixed Income at MFS Investment Management
- Hannah Commoss, Institutional Portfolio Manager at Fidelity Investments
- Mark Friedman, former Vice President of Marketing at Corporate Turnaround
- Kim Goldinger, Manager at Silk Fields Farm
- Sean O’Brien, Senior Operating Executive at Hellman & Freeman
- Timocin Pervane, Head of Fulfillment Finance, Shopify
- John Russell, CFO at DDG Partners
- Betsy Scheffel, Co-owner, Sajawi Corporation
- Camille Valentine, Senior Vice President, Wealth Management at UBS Financial
In response to the economic impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, GBFB distributed the equivalent of nearly 81 million meals in 2020 through its network of nearly 600 dedicated food-distribution partners and programs in the 190 cities and towns across eastern Massachusetts.
A member of Feeding America, the nation’s food bank network, GBFB’s mission is to end hunger here and it is committed to providing at least three healthy meals a day to everyone in need. For more information, visit us at GBFB.org, follow us on Facebook, Twitter (@gr8bosfoodbank) and Instagram, or call 617-427-5200.
Oct. 26, 2020: PIE IN SKY: Whole Foods in Thanksgiving fund-raiser
This news announcement was published Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020.
FACEBOOK BOX: To see all images, click the PHOTOS link just below